What causes sagging skin?
One of the primary causes of loose skin is pregnancy. This is when the skin has been stretched beyond its normal limits. Until recently, the only hope that women had for returning their skin back to normal was a Tummy Tuck. This is a surgical procedure that removes excess skin. It also results in a horrific scar that goes from hip to hip.
Long-term exposure to UV rays, genetics, extreme weight loss and ageing can all result in skin losing its elasticity. Collegen fibers can be damaged as a result of these factors. Skin will then eventually start to sag.
Can exercise and diet improve sagging skin?
Skin quality can be helped by a balanced diet with low sugar intake and drinking a lot of water. Building muscle can tighten up your skin. However, you need technology to help you see any significant change in your skin that is sagging.
1. Surgical: Minimally invasive procedures are used such as iGuide for the neck, Bodytite and Laser Skin Tightening. A Tummy Tuck is also an option, although this is more invasive.
2. Non-Surgical: Platelet Rich Plasma
Minimally invasive with dramatic results
1. Laser Skin Tightening: This treatment uses an ultra thin fiber that is inserted under the skin’s surface. Collagen fibers are heated up by the energy of the laser. The fibers instantly contract, causing the skin to be tightened. The patient will continue to see improvements for up to three months after the surgery. Fat cells are also melted by the laser. These fat cells are then removed from the body through normal elimination. If fat still remains in the treatment area, Vaser liposuction can also be used to tone up the area.
2. iGuide Neck Lift: This procedure is performed on a walk in-walk out basis. It is an effective way to treat skin that is loose in the neck and chin. Light sedation is required. A pattern is attached to the patient’s neck and then tightened. Patients typically go back to their jobs in 2-3 days.
3. Bodytite: This procedure heats the soft tissue that causes the formation of collagen by using radiofrequency. Fat cells are melted away and removed using a cannula.
Platelet Rich Plasma: This is a safe procedure that involves blood being taken and placed in a centrifuge for 10 minutes. The blood will separate and the part that is platelet rich will be extracted. This plasma is reinjected into the treatment areas. Since the plasma is rich in growth factors, stem cells and platelets, your skin is stimulated to produce more collagen.
The patient is able to walk after all of these procedures. Since there is continuous monitoring of the temperature of the patient’s skin, the risk of being burned is small. Bruising, swelling and pain are not significant in any of these procedures. The recovery time is minimal.
Are these treatments effective for people with large amounts of skin?
Before having any of these procedures performed, you should consult a cosmetic surgeon who will assess the amount of skin you have. Perhaps surgery will be a better option for you. A tummy tuck, thigh lift and arm lift are all effective when dealing with patients with large amounts of skin. It should be noted that patients will have scars from necessary incisions made during the procedures. This is usually a small price to pay for getting rid of unsightly excess skin.
Skin Tightening – Loose Skin Treatments
This web page is for information and support only and NOT a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment! Nothing on this web page should be construed as medical advice. Please check with your own physician about any information that concerns you.